Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-l] Fwd: [MLA-L] Massive Recording Collection available

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Bresler" <joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Dear Friends:
>
> Another massive 78s collection -- not free this
> time, but you can't have everything! I know
> nothing more about the collection than what you
> read below, so please be in touch with the
> collector as indicated if you are interested, and
> report back to the list on your exploits.
>
> Happy New Year!!
>
> Joel
>
> >Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:40:17 -0800
> >From: "Paul T. Jackson"
> >Subject: [MLA-L] Massive Recording Collection available
> >Sender: Music Library Association Mailing List
> >
> >Hi:
> >I'm the nephew of Glenn D. Bridges whose
> >recording collection, along with my
> >discographical book collection, is with the ITA
> >Archives...I'm not sure where these are
> >housed...but somewhere on UNC-Greensboro campus.
> >I'm also the publisher of Glenn's book Pioneers in Brass, 4th edition.
> >I've been informed that a very good friend,
> >long-time ARSC member, Fred Williams, who was
> >constantly searching discographical information
> >from the Glenn Bridges collection, and has
> >created a number of recordings of early recorded
> >band music, is now selling his massive
> >collection of cylinders, 78 discs of military
> >and concert band recordings, books, ephemera,
> >photos et al. The collection he tells me is ca.
> >2100 cylinders; 30,000 Lps; 60,000 78s.
> >This year Fred has suffered a couple of strokes
> >and just this month returned from rehab and has
> >decided to retire from his many organizations
> >and activities including maintaining the recording collection.
> >The collection would be a great adjunct to the
> >Glenn D. Bridges collection, if such would be
> >possible. And although many of Fred's recordings
> >duplicate those of Bridges, I believe I'm
> >correct in saying that those duplicates are also
> >different takes of a given solo piece. Having
> >these all together would be wonderful for the
> >researcher...and a premier collection saved.
> >Fred Williams can be reached at :
> >8313 Shawnee St.,
> >Philadelphia, PA 191118-3906
> >phone 215.247-0410

For those unacquanted with Mr. Williams, suffice it to say that
he literally "wrote the books" on brass/military band recordings...
and, as I recall, his collection represented his interest! About
the other collection, I wot not...

Sadly, I'm not in a financial position to acquire records at prices
greater than Cdn$0.00 each or so...but I suspect that a lot of my
(and others') discographic questions might be answered by these
discs...!