Re: [ARSCLIST] laserdisc

Yes! I have that CD and it's wonderful. Very good booklet notes by Bob Moog, who is also passed. Moog's whole entree into electronic music was via the Theremin. He wrote an article in Radio & TV News in the 50s describing how to "repurpose" some old radio parts into a Theremin, and later wrote an updated solid-state version of the circuit for Popular Electronics. Totally agree about Clara Rockmore being a fantastic musician. She plays some in the documentary and you can clearly see how much technique was involved to make a Theremin a truly musical instrument. I think an original Theremin like Rockmore played -- with an original Theremin/RCA amp and speaker -- sounds fantastic. The later iterations are usually played through a guitar amp and sound junky. The RCA instrument had tremendous bass and that nice tubey (yeah, lots of harmonics) midrange but was not overdriven or distorted like feeding a modern version through a guitar amp. Unlike most people I've heard fiddling with modern Theremins, Rockmore had fantastic dynamics control. And her pitch was dead-on so the instrument was played with true precision. This would make sense since she usually played with a piano and thus would need to get her pitch right from the get-go or be horridly out of tune to the piano. I love the scenes of her playing best in the documentary because by that time, her hands were old and knarled and here she was throwing them through the air and creating these wonderful musical notes.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] laserdisc

Alas! Ms. Rockmore died a few years ago. She was a terrific musician, overlooked except as a curiosity. She was the sister of Nadia Reisenberg, equally musically endowed. I love CM's version of the Rachmaninov Vocalise. 'Twas on CD- Delos, if I recall.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>