Re: [ARSCLIST] Floor Load Capacity

In a message dated 12/20/2006 2:32:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Nicole_Blain@xxxxxx writes:
If there's an official document or study out there too, it would help
convince the architects/engineers that this is an important issue.

I found an article in the Fall 1993 ARSC Journal: Storage of Sound Recordings
by Richard Warren Jr.  He has weight per linear foot, but not floor load
capacity.

Our collection houses ~175,000 12" vinyl and ~30,000 10" shellac discs.

In a message dated 12/22/2006 3:41:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>I would think that the loading for shelf stacks would be independent of what
>is on them and the library specification would apply.
>
>However, as all the other comments imply, it depends entirely on the type of
>construction of the building and flooring.

Mike,

There are several variables at work.
****************************

As soon as I sent the reply, I realized that everyone was assuming that this
was a query about new construction.

Since the original post mentioned an existing collection, I thought they were
asking for information to satisfy a building inspector.  In that case, if the
rating of the room was for library shelving, that specification would apply
regardless of the contents of the shelves, meaning there might be a problem
with records.

As many mentioned, it is very important to consider the weight of shellac
records when using existing shelving. Hazardous conditions could result. 10"
records in albums may compare to books of a similar size, but tightly packed in
thin sleeves, probably not. Most construction is very conservative, but
satisfying building inspectors relying on standard specifications may be a challenge
once they try to heft a stack of 78s.

You might find something in the architects specification for the record
library rooms of 1940s radio or TV stations.  I've seen some articles and pamphlets
put out by RCA about station design but don't know if they were that detailed.

Mike Csontos