Re: [ARSCLIST] Multi format DVD/CD/SACD, etc Player

Hi Peter:

I have a Marantz player that does them all, that I think they still make a version of, and a Toshiba player that is no longer made. The Marantz, which has a real SACD section (some of the lower cost SACD players apparently convert to PCM and then do D-A through one set of D-A electronics, based on reading not taking apart players) and sounds quite great for all formats. I think it cost me $550 and listed for $750 a couple of years ago. The Toshiba was something like $200 and while it doesn't sound as good with SACD, it's got a great-sounding CD section, surprisingly great sounding.

SACD is a DOA format, so there are fewer non-esoteric players on the market now than a few years back. I would assume Sony and Philips/Marantz still make low- and mid-priced universal players but I think Toshiba and others not directly invested in SACD might have pretty much abandoned the format.

Here's a rundown from Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/ycwc29
Looks like Sony and Philips/Marantz are still into SACD to stay and Pioneer and Denon are solidly there too.

Don C -- consider a DVD player to replace that one-disc CD player. Why?

1. better and more-format-supported D-A except vs. expensive, esoteric CD-only players.
2. better functionality in most cases (I'd stay away from low-end generic Chinese and Korean models because of user-hostile interfaces in most cases)
3. for basic playback of CD, no need to hook to TV, just insert and press play. Most players have play, skip and stop buttons right on the machine still, so no need to use the usually-overcomplex remote unless you want to. Plus, if you ever get into making DVD-Audio discs, these will play it back -- or make a DVD data disc full of MP3 and have days of background music.

Merry Christmas to all.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Hirsch" <punto@xxxxxxxx>