Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Dating LPs ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Blake Werts" <bwerts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Thanks Steven for the suggestions.  For me, database schema definitions can
> come later.  What we should decide on first is the different pieces of data
> that we should be gathering while working through our sources (Gramophone,
> Myers Index, Schwann, etc..).  Certainly the following:
>
> record label,
> record catalog number,
> reference publication name,
> reference publication year, month, day,
> reference publication page number(s),
> ???
>
> My gut tells me that we should go ahead with gathering recording information
> as it is available when found, like composer, conductor, orchestra,
> composition, etc....    what else?

Well, what you are creating, then, is a fairly complete discography of
classical music issued on 33-1/3rpm records...NOT a "date guide" for
them! The difference is that a date guide would include only
LABEL and CATALOG# for enough issues to allow unlisted numbers to
be dated using interpolation, with each listing also including
date of issue (possibly matrix number and recording date could
be included...I have both in my DG, in separate lists).

If you include artist(s), conductor(s), work(s) played and composers
thereof...you now have to list every recording for which data can be
found...which necessitates a much larger and more complex database
and/or published version (which may be your preference, but will
become a much larger project, as well as possibly falling victim
to the "We can't issue it yet...it isn't quite finished...!"
syndrome...