Re: [ARSCLIST] Dating LPs ?

Which is why it helps to be an obsessive autistic,who can retain this knowledge like a computer.

Someone was telling me a couple of years back,that there was to be a series of old Schwann catalogues on CD-ROM,whatever became of that ?
                            Roger Kulp
"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: --
AFAIK, there is no such animal...with the exception of owning, or being
able to access, a complete backfile of Schwann's listings. However, most
LP's will show a copyright year on the jacket (occasionally on the label
as well). Since many LP's stayed in catalogs for years (or decades) one
would have to search Schwann for the first appearance of each one.

To further confuse things, record companies tended to change their
numbering systems regularly...so that old items still catalogued
would acquire brand new catalog numbers (and, occasionally, cover
art as well).

Label designs are the key here.

However, my first edition of the Guide was handwritten data in a
school notebook...which I typed by hand on my trusty Underwood
Number 5 machine, taking the results to Print Three to be copied
(one sided) and stapled into "books" (well, sort of)...no digital
devices were used! So, creating an equivalent work for LP records
should be an easier (at the very least less laborious...!) task.

All you need is about a gazillion or so different copies of the
Schwann volumes...