Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitizing libraries thread...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Indeed, what is worth saving is a good question and even more importantly in
my mind is the question, who is qualified to make these sorts of decisions?

Well, although the last question looks like it might be extremely
difficult to answer...I see a quite simple answer. Each individual
holder of information will...in fact, to some extent, MUST...decide
for him/her/itself what is worth preserving and what isn't. This only
becomes complex if/when we create some sort of "ultimate preservation
facility" equipped to properly provide long-term storage for ANYTHING
containing information...and then it takes on aspects of what might
be the case if/when some sort of "ultimate health facility" is created,
allowing the cure of any ill...but with a very limited capacity
for clients!

Steven C. Barr
(Oh...don't ask ME what to keep! I'm a dedicated "pack rat"...both
for tangible items and for information...and, as a result, have all
but overwhelmed myself in both cases...)