Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitizing libraries

Jim Lindner <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    > I would have loved to attend the lecture on the
> St. Catherine digitization project - I am personally very
  > interested in that project.

  I should add that the presentor did a superb job, even if I am doubtful as to efficacy of the proposed methodology and his time estimates.

  > but I have been saying for MANY years that the cost of storage
> was only a small part of the full cost of maintaining a digital (or
>anaog) archive. As time goes on, the proportion of cost of >storage relative to other costs will continue to shrink.

  While there are theoretical limits to the density of storage, it is encouraging knowing that costs are likely to decline, (a point I agree with) but then I wonder about the costs relative to the increasing quanity of information and the filters we apply to decide what is to be preserved.

  But I do wonder if our ability to navigate the information has kept pace with our ability to economically store that information. It has seemed to me that we cannot expect to be able to control the information when one considers the growth rate versus our resources to address that growth rate..

  >Technology tends to get smaller, better, faster, and cheaper over >time. Society is making more AV "stuff" then ever before, we >need to continue the shift to an IT environment so that we can >manage it all.

  I don't see that we have any other option either, but I believe we need to make some adjustments to things like our filters and our controller/navigation systems.

  Karl