Re: [ARSCLIST] huge number of links on digital preservation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Steven:
>
> This is what I do but I am my own "managed storage utility" and do have
software that mirrors
> everything. My take on off-the-shelf hard drives -- as long as they work,
they're as good as
> anything else. But they're not rebust in some cases and they all fail
eventually. So never have one
> copy of anything any more time that is absolutely required.

Turns out I lost a decimal point in my first attempt at calculations!
The hypothetical 23TB data-archival operation would need 7 320GB drives
a day and an extra every fifth day...so storage costs turn out to be
around $43,000 annualy. Back that up with a second HD, and it still
only costs $86,000/yr...