Re: [ARSCLIST] huge number of links on digital preservation

  Perhaps already cited on our mailing list...

  http://www.tape-online.net/docs/Palm_Black_Hole.pdf

  but I believe Jonas Palm's article (above) to be well worth reading.

  The ability to make informed selection of what information is to be "saved" might be one of the most important skills, yet, as far as I know, there is little attempt to develop those skills...either in the scientific/statistical fields or in the education of our information managers.

  Does anyone know of any work/research/writing being done on the subject of measuring the efficacy (subjective) of searching algorithms versus the size of the information base?

  As of today...

  812,000,000 hits when you google yahoo
  863,000,000 hits when you google google

  709,000,000 hits when you yahoo yahoo
  468,000,000 hits when you yahoo google

  The internet archive preserves over 85 billion web pages.

  I feel a migraine coming on...

  Karl