Re: [ARSCLIST] Rexford Records

Steven Smolian wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Rexford Records? They were listed in Schwann 1951 et seq.

I know of just the one 12" record I have, issue 2 (no number on the front or back cover or spine, but on the label. It's 2 works by Don Gillis. "This is Our America" and Symphony No. 8, "Dance Symphony." Don Gillis conducts the Rexford Symphony Orchestra ("made up from leading first desk players in the major orchestras") and Rhys Morgan Singers, Ray Middleton, singer (on cover but not cited on the label.)

Any data appreciated.

Steve Smolian

Don't know about Rexford Records, but Don Gillis as well as being a composer, was a producer of the NBC Symphony broadcasts. So I'm thinking that the orchestra could have been NYC players. Hope that this helps.

Stan Punzel