Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

My comments are interlineated. Note that I am an (advanced) amateur in these matters.

Ronald W. Frazier wrote:

A commercial DVD of a movie, as I understand it, is PRESSED from a glass master disc. Thus, the reflective surface of the disc actually has little pits in it which the laser beam reads. This type of disc can last a very long time.

It can - or it may not. Its failure modes are not the same as those of recordable discs. Its one clear advantage is that it is inherently stable where all recordable optical media are inherently unstable.

A recordable disc does not have any real pits. The reflective surface of the disc is coated with a dye which either evaporates and changes color or creates a bubble when the laser beam writes to it. This type of disc may not last nearly as long for the reasons below.

Quite imprecise, I'm afraid. Yes, it has not pits or lands. No, the dye is not on the reflective surface. No, it does not evaporate. No, it does not form bubbles. Yes, it may not last as long as a pressed disc - or it may last longer.

Note that there is no dye in a CD-RW - an erasable CD. Nor, of course, are there pits and lands.

I have talked to a rep at the factory that makes archival grade discs. He explained several ways that a recordable DVD (or CD) disc can fail.

Factory reps can - at least in theory - be sources of accurate information. There are more consistently reliable sources which are often referenced in this group and may be found in the archives. A good starting point may be http://www.mediascience.com/ and, of course, the CD-R FAQ.

Failure mode # 1: OXIDATION - I found out that the plastic part of the disc is not waterproof, despite what we might think.

Well known and well documented - not news.

Failure mode # 2: DYE FAILURE - The chemical dyes used in recordable DVD's intrinsically go through chemical reactions over time that change their color and reaction to the laser beam.

Not strictly "chemical reactions". For the rest of the paragraph, the treatment is simplistic at best. The validity of accelerated life test is not proven; the results of such testing are proprietary and not disseminated; dyes which may seem to decay more slowly under some conditions may fail quickly under other conditions.

Failure mode # 3: BONDING FAILURE - As mentioned above, the DVD is produced by bonding two plastic discs together with the reflective surface, the dye, coatings, etc.

At best, of limited relevance. The layers of a Compact Disc are not "bonded"; the DVD bond has not been found to be a failure point. Note that there are bonding issues in LaserDiscs, which may be the reason for this issue being raised at all.

Failure mode # 4: SCRATCHES - If you've used recordable DVD media very much, you probably know they're extremely susceptible to scratches.

In general, a non-issue. Readability will be maintained through remarkably severe scratching and certainly will not be compromised in a well-run library or archive. Spills are more of an issue, particularly those with polycarbonate solvents. Note that wear-and-tear scratches can be polished out with relative ease if somehow they appear on an archived disc.

Failure mode # 5: PRODUCTION QUALITY - I was told that many name brand disc sellers bid the production out to the lowest bidder.

We flew to the moon in hardware produced by the lowest bidder who met the specifications. A modern, efficient production facility may provide better quality at lower cost than one which is poorly maintained. No one here is recommending flea-market media, but excellent manufacturers make high-quality discs at reasonable prices.

Overall, I suggest that you can readily find better information sources than a representative with a vested interest. Browsing through this list's archives and the papers referenced there is highly recommended. The results may not offer the simplicity you have found, but they are likely to have fewer errors.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/