[ARSCLIST] Amos 'n Andy disc

All - I'm hoping somone on the list might have some more info on the disc described below - I know that Sentinel was a radio and TV manufacturer, but can't find anything about their making recording equipment and blanks. I can send the pictures he mentions off list.

Thanks,
Chuck Howell

Chuck Howell
Curator
Library of American Broadcasting
Hornbake Library, U of MD
College Park, MD  20742

301-314-0401
chuckh@xxxxxxx

Hey Chuck,

Thanks so much for your interest in helping us uncover this mystery.  I really appreciate all the effort you’ve gone through.

The big thing we are trying to uncover now is who may have recorded the lost episode of Amos ‘n’ Andy we discovered on an aluminum disc.  The serial dates back to 1931, and a sticker on the record says “Sentinel Chromatron”.  Written in pen are the words “Amos ‘n Andy” and “WOW” (a Nebraska Radio station owned by Woodmen of the World Life Insurance and operated by Radio Station WOW, Inc. from 1923 until a law suit in 1945).

In the middle of the recording, the show cuts out to some daytime radio program, and we are missing the middle chunk of the serial.  One expert thought it might have been a home recording created by someone who had the money to play around with this type of expensive equipment.  Someone else thought it may have been created by a professional studio that would have recorded it for a client.  The middle portion of the episode may have been recorded onto a different disc so as not to miss any of the program when the disc was turned to the other side.  We also discovered that it wasn’t recorded at 78 rpm, but more like 85 rpm, maybe to compensate for the weight of the recording arm.

Attached are a couple pictures of the record so you can have a look.  I appreciate any help.

Many Thanks,

David Jacobs

Lion TV, History Detectives

304 Hudson St, 5th fl