Re: [ARSCLIST] Question on matrix take numbers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Friedman" <disquod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I've recently started to pay closer attention to matrix numbers. The take
> numbers appended to the end of them are often instructive. Could someone
> more knowledgeable than I explain to me the difference between a take listed
> as "1" and one listed as "1A"? Does the latter mean a dubbing, and, if so,
> what does this imply?

On what label? Each company had their own system of putting data on
records (some, like Gennett after c.1926, simply omitted them!).
And...the number following a matrix number in the "wax" may, or may
not, be a take number!

On Columbia (and all Columbia-pressed labels)...the matrix is followed
by the take number, which is then followed by the "mother" letter and
finally the stamper number.

On Victors before c.1951, the matrix numbers don't appear (except for
a few months in 1928)...the take number is located at the 9:00 position
in the run-out. Here, an "A" indicates an alternate (sometimes dubbed)
version of the SAME take, while an "R" indicates the recording was
"re-recorded" or dubbed.

On Plaza/ARC/CBS recordings, only the take number appears, follwing
the matrix number in the run-out area. CBS records use the Columbia
system above in most cases.

On Decca, the take is designated by a letter following the matrix
number. A double letter indicates what is usually a "safety" recording
made using the same take but a second cutter.

Pathe records have their matrix numbers in the label area (AKA "under
the label")...but no one has ever established how alternate takes
can be identified (so far)!

And on the gazillion or so other labels...as Mr. Waller said, "One
never knows, do one?"...