Re: [ARSCLIST] Question on matrix take numbers

I'll take credit for the Delius transfer if you got the later pressing where they corrected the pitch..apparently I transferred Brigg Fair a half tone out and nobody caught it for years. I think there were 11 takes of side 1 and the one they finally issued had major varispeeding problems..hate to think what the other 10 were like. Anyway, on Columbias--both UK and US--the W indicates Western Electric equipment being used. C means they were using their own cutters after about 1930 on English Columbias, and the lack of a prefix on US recordings will indicate something similar. WAX and CAX are 12-inch, and WA and CA are ten-inch. (But US Columbias from 1939 into about 1941 also may have W prefixes, and these indicate that World Broadcasting was doing the recording.)

dl

Larry Friedman wrote:
Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question. Actually, I was more
referring to HMV and English Columbia. Upon looking closely at the Naxos
transfers of the early Beecham Delius (now, who was it, David, who effected
that transfer? Whoever it was, it's a damned good one), I noticed that the
1928 recording of Brigg Fair's first side is listed as master number WAX
4335-10! That surprised me, but the very next track is La Calinda from
Koanga, and the master to that is listed as CAX 8112-2A. It was that that
started me wondering. While we're on the subject, was the 'W' an indication
of 12", while the 'C' of 10"?

Thanks again.

-Larry