Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Csontos wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220052969829

Any information on the "The Music Shop" operation or the reason this type of
record would have been made?

----- I have looked at the e-Bay thing - something that I rarely do, because the information is virtually non-existant and many label photographs have terrible reflections from the photoflash - and it looks as if The Music Shop either had a service where they dubbed or made airchecks (or perhaps recorded greetings or weddings for you), or they sold lacquer records for home recordists. I don't know enough about US history, but it seems that there must be a printed collection of Franklin Roosevelt's broadcast speeches, from which the yellow parts have been recorded. First I thought it was a private off-air recording, but the selection is too precise, unless it is from an announced repeat broadcast. So, if it is indeed Roosevelt's voice, it must be a dubbing from someone else's aircheck. However, it may be a completely different person, reciting at a later date than 29 December 1940 those parts of Roosevelt's speech. All in all it seems to be on the fringe of oral history. The provenance means everything under those circumstances.

I know "mush" enough about it to realize that the minimum bid will only make the insurer happy. I am reminded of the recent offer of a "Robert Johnson"-
owned guitar with the same wear pattern as that of a guitar held by him in a photograph. That was taken as proof of ownership.

With the risk of the lacquer peeling from the glass base, this is an item that needs more than average care.

Kind regards,

George

I'll gladly stand corrected, but as far as I know glass discs weren't put into use in the US until after Pearl Harbor.
So this will probably be a dub made well after the original broadcast. It would be interesting to know if there is dialog missing during the flip..if there is, then it's an original recorded off the air. "The Music Shop" looks like a store brand of blank discs. I've never seen a glass base disc with translucent lacquer like this, although I've seen clear ones! ("Clear-O".)

dl