Re: [ARSCLIST] Shout Factory Poetry Box still continues Walt Whitman Cylinder hoax, + treasury business

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

> Well that Brahms hoax certainly hasn't been revived.The one where they supposedly found a pre-Edison glass(?) cylinder buried in a box underground.It was undecipherable,except for a regular thumping noise.They claimed this was because it had been laying on its side for 130 years.Someone refresh my memory,please.
>
>                                      Roger Kulp

Not Brahms..Chopin, and a lampblacked glass disc, no? Apart from the thumps being at 176RPM I thought the thing was well done. It certainly fooled a CBC broadcaster with a network show in Vancouver..he went live to air with it, raving about it, and the brass in Toronto heard the feed and hollered down the line and
he issued a very sheepish correction during the next hour. I'd still love to get a copy of that thing.

dl