Re: [ARSCLIST] Analog to digital capture question

vandiik <vandiik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm new to this list, having joined because I recently inherited a large >collection of 1960s and 1970s era classical LPs from my father and >I'd like to digitize them.

>I wonder if anyone has input on what sound capture device will best >serve me on this?

  Protools now offers a very affordable ($329) Mbox 2 Mini, complete with software. A wide range of plugins are available including the Waves Restoration package which provides you with some reasonably priced (about $900) noise reduction. I do suggest that you consider some noise reduction to get rid of clicks, etc. Plus, you might want to consider the purchase of a record cleaning machine.

  I assume the discs you plan to transfer have not been made available on CD? The LPs I have transferred have been things like the old MGM classical releases and less familiar repertoire including some of my favorite old Melodia discs. Indeed, I am amazed at what great sound can be found in those old grooves, especially when you can get rid of the clicks, crackle, hiss, rumble, etc.

  Karl