[ARSCLIST] Analog to digital capture question

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, having joined because I recently inherited a large collection of 1960s and 1970s era classical LPs from my father and I'd like to digitize them.

I wonder if anyone has input on what sound capture device will best serve me on this? I see lots of happy talk on the Internet about the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card, but most of the buzz seems to be people saying that it's better than a Soundblaster, and that strikes me as faint praise. I think the analog signal I'm providing should be pretty good, as the albums to be digitized were well engineered and pressed, and the discs have been well cared for. My analog playback setup consists of a Thorens turntable and Shure V15 Type V pickup. The step up amplifier is of similar if not better quality. My stereo is not a full blown audiophile system, but better than most, and I hope the digitized files I capture will be good enough that, when I play them, musicians and other informed listeners will concentrate on the music and not gaps in the fidelity.

Budget wise, I'd be able to pay $400-500 if the capture fidelity warrants the price.

Thanks to all of you in advance,

Dick Williams