Re: [ARSCLIST] MARC Records for Open Reel Tape

A few weeks back, I asked for examples of MARC records for open reel tape, especially spoken word and unpublished recordings. I got a fair number of responses, and as requested I have put together a brief summary of them. A few notes: (1) since some of the responses were sent to me off-list, I have not included the names of the people who pointed them out to me; (2) I made the notes on each one primarily for my own use, so they aren't comprehensive, don't fully describe the collections or the records, and just note stuff I was particularly watching for; and (3) if you emailed me and I didn't include your link on the list, it's a dumb oversight on my part, and has nothing to do with you or what you sent me.

The list will be available for download as a PDF for the next week or so from here: http://www.bates.edu/muskie_archives/AudioMARC.pdf <http://www.bates.edu/muskie_archives/AudioMARC.pdf>

As for my own project, I borrowed some of the things I saw other institutions doing and collaborated with our main cataloger here at Bates to put together what we think will be a good standard MARC record for the sound recordings in the Muskie collection. You can see a sample by going to http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/ and searching for "SR" (no quote marks) as an "Alternate call number." The first one, SR000 is the template we put together in our database, and we copy it then fill in the fields for each item. Once you are in a record, you can click on "MARC Display" in the upper-left part of the page to get the full MARC record. The 340 field should be suppressed in the standard display, but I'm still working on getting that done.

I'd love to get feedback or comments.

Cheers, all!

Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
Bates College
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
(t) 207-753-6918