Re: [ARSCLIST] Fishing expedition -- WNBC show from 1953 or 1954

Hi Bob:

No luck on that front. That's the first thing I tried. Nope, it was a half-track recording recorded over in full-track.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fishing expedition -- WNBC show from 1953 or 1954

A thought,

Have you tried playing the tape back on a multi track recorder to see
if a
portion of the original rcording might have survived the erase head
when it was recorded over?

I've had some luck in that pursuit.

Best,
R.Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/11/2006 6:28 PM >>>
This is a deep fishing expedition, but I figure if anyone can get me
pointed where I need to go,
they might be on this list. Ideally, someone who knows if NBC Radio
archives exist and if so, where
they might be ...

I'm looking for a broadcast from either 1953 or 1954. It is an episode
of "Music Through the Night"
with Harry Fleetwood. Mr. Fleetwood did a series of interviews with
heads of classical recording of
all the major record companies at that time, and one of those
interviews was with my mother. Alas,
our tape of that interview is recorded over but for the last 5 minutes.
Why/how -- who knows, but
the net result is, most of the recording is lost. In case anyone is
interested, I do have the
complete interview with Israel Horowitz of Decca Records. In that
interview, Fleetwood mentions that
he had already done RCA and London, so those interviews may exist,
too.

I have a creeping doubt that systematic archiving of this program was
done, but maybe something
special like these interviews were recorded and kept. Or, maybe someone
knows an aircheck bug who
happened to be fascinated with the classical music business during the
heyday of hifi and who was a
night owl. OK, it's a stretch but maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance!

-- Tom Fine