Re: [ARSCLIST] AD converter vs. Outboard Digital recorders

Hello, Peter,

Workflow is a very subjective issue. For the first several years of my work (1998-2003) I ingested audio to a pair of Panasonic SV-3800 DAT machines and later to a pair of Sony CDR-W33 CD writers, using the good-sounding internal A-Ds in the machines. I didn't trust a 333 MHz Windows 95 upgraded to 98 SE PC even though it had the Zefiro Acoustics digital audio card in it.

I don't know what people think of the PMD 670's converters. I have no opinion.

When I got a competent Windows XP machine and an RME Multiface, I started ingesting everything into the PC directly. I now routinely do music as 88.2/24 or 96/24 via the (now pair for 16 channels) of RME Multifaces.

The aux computer in the studio also has a MOTU 828 MK II connected to it -- I bought that initially to use with my laptop, but now I can run a second background transfer with that. This works via a firewire interface while the RME Multifaces require a dedicated host card. If I had started fresh today, I might consider an all-FW solution such as RME's FireFace 800.

I think it's important to be able to monitor your main audio workstation on your main monitors. In fact, the monitors (5.1) controlled through a Blue Sky Bass Management Controller are normally fed from outputs 1-6 of the first RME. I've already done enough A/B tests to know that I can't really hear the RME's footprint, so I don't worry about A-Bing analog to digital unless I hear something I don't like, and then I patch.

There is nothing wrong with your solution if you like the PMD's A-D converters and you can monitor what you do on the computer properly. I especially enjoyed -- and it eased the transition for me -- of digitizing to DAT as I could back up and restart a section of transfer more easily than in the early software. It was intuitive as DAT worked more or less the same as analog tape from a functional perspective.

No matter what you use (within reason) it's important that we all do our part to chip away at the 50 Mh of recordings out there that need to be digitized. There's no right or wrong answer IMHO, just what works for you.

Cheers,

Richard