[ARSCLIST] Fw: Cataloging question--IASA in particular

Hi, all,

Since I get the ARSCLIST as a digest, I hope this hasn't already been answered many times over, but here are my 2 cents:

OCLC has helpful documentation on this: Cataloging Electronic Resources: OCLC-MARC Coding Guidelines http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/cataloging/electronicresources/

For digital audio that doesn't have a physical carrier, you would put the MARC code for sound recording (i or j) in MARC Leader/06 (OCLC Fixed Field "Type") but include an 006 for computer files. But for the GMD, the electronic aspect takes precedence, so you'd use "electronic resource."

Re. SMDs and physical description, AACR2 chap. 9 for electronic resources, rule 9.5B3 might help. This rule applies to remote electronic resources (like a digital audio file with no physical carrier):

9.5B3.
Optionally, record the extent of an electronic resource that is available only by remote access. Use an appropriate term preferably taken from subrule .5B of one of the chapters of part I or a term in common usage. See also 9.5C3.

1 photograph
6 remote-sensing images
1 sound file
Web site
1 electronic text

For additional info, rule 9.5C3 is useful:

9.5C3.
When recording the extent of an electronic resource that is available only by remote access, give other details about the resource (e.g., file types) if readily available and considered to be important.

1 photograph : digital, TIFF file
69 p. : digital, PDF file
3 sound files : digital, mp3 file
1 electronic text : HTML file

If such characteristics cannot be given succinctly, give them in a note (see 9.7B10).

I checked the LC Prints and Photographs Division site for info about born-digital images. If you followed Graphic Materials: Rules for Describing Original Items and Historical Collections, available online http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/gm/graphmat.html, you would use "graphic." Here's an example: http://tinyurl.com/yk48no

Concerning GMDs in RDA, there's a FAQ on RDA http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/rdafaq.html#4-7 , and here's what it says about GMDs and SMDs:

There is a group looking specifically at the types of content and carriers covered in RDA. Information about type and form of content and type and form of carrier will still be recorded, but the terms used will likely change. Aspects of the resource being described that relate to the type of content, such as cartographic, textual, or numeric will be declared or recorded separately from aspects relating to the type of carrier (microform, electronic resource, etc.). There will still be the possibility to give users an "early warning" regarding the type (content type, carrier type, or mixture) of material described in the record, but that will be determined in relation to the display or presentation of the data rather than the recording of the data.
The SMDs will likely continue to be a mixture of established terms and common usage terms.

I hope you all will correct me if any of this is just wrong. Thanks.

Marsha Maguire
Manuscripts and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Washington Libraries
P.O. Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8407 fax: (206) 685-8782
mmaguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Seubert" <seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: Cataloging question--IASA in particular

Andy,

[non-catalogers are welcome to tune out now]

I would use sound recording as a GMD for a born digital audio file. You should probably code it as a computer file in a 007, but it's still a sound recording.

The IASA rules oddly don't address SMDs for digital files. I'd never noticed this before, but they must have assumed that all sound had a carrier of some sort. Not so anymore--record on hard disk or flash card, upload audio to server, reuse media. So no carrier in the traditional sense. For the SMD of a born digital audio file I think you'd need to refer to AACR2 and follow the rules for computer files. I don't know if you can use "1 digital audio file" or what without checking, but I'd keep it in plain English if possible.

I've never cataloged just one photograph as they most always are part of some larger collection such as a manuscript collection or a group of photographs. The GMDs are listed on this page of BFAS: http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/onlinecataloging/. There are GMDs for "slide" and "picture." Is picture the term for photograph? I don't really know. There is no GMD for collection that I know of so oddly archival collections have no GMD.

I wonder if GMDs are going away with the transition from AACR2 to RDA? GMDs are really pretty useless in my opinion. Material types should just be coded in the leader and the computer system will figure out what the heck it is and describe it to the user.

David Seubert
UCSB

andy kolovos wrote:
Folks,

I'm struggling with some cataloging issues, right now in particular I'm dealing with terms for the General Material Designation (GMD) and Specific Material Designation (SMD) in relation to our collection. I've been coming to terms with the IASA rules and have discovered two things:

1. There seem to be no SMD terms for digital audio files
2. There are certainly no terms for dealing with still images (35mm slides, photographs, etc.)

In regard to issue #1--what terms are people using for audio files? Although the rules might technically say otherwise, I'm inclined to treat "born digital" audio files and preservation files as "sound recordings" on the GMD level (as opposed to treating them as "electronic resource" which--from the AACR2 perspective might be the proper place). This said, is there an accepted term for digital audio files under IASA guidelines--or any guidelines for that matter?

Since #2 is largely off topic I'll direct my questions about that elsewhere--however, if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

andy