Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging question--IASA in particular

Andy,

[non-catalogers are welcome to tune out now]

I would use sound recording as a GMD for a born digital audio file. You should probably code it as a computer file in a 007, but it's still a sound recording.

The IASA rules oddly don't address SMDs for digital files. I'd never noticed this before, but they must have assumed that all sound had a carrier of some sort. Not so anymore--record on hard disk or flash card, upload audio to server, reuse media. So no carrier in the traditional sense. For the SMD of a born digital audio file I think you'd need to refer to AACR2 and follow the rules for computer files. I don't know if you can use "1 digital audio file" or what without checking, but I'd keep it in plain English if possible.

I've never cataloged just one photograph as they most always are part of some larger collection such as a manuscript collection or a group of photographs. The GMDs are listed on this page of BFAS: http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/onlinecataloging/. There are GMDs for "slide" and "picture." Is picture the term for photograph? I don't really know. There is no GMD for collection that I know of so oddly archival collections have no GMD.

I wonder if GMDs are going away with the transition from AACR2 to RDA? GMDs are really pretty useless in my opinion. Material types should just be coded in the leader and the computer system will figure out what the heck it is and describe it to the user.

David Seubert
UCSB

andy kolovos wrote:
Folks,

I'm struggling with some cataloging issues, right now in particular I'm dealing with terms for the General Material Designation (GMD) and Specific Material Designation (SMD) in relation to our collection. I've been coming to terms with the IASA rules and have discovered two things:

1. There seem to be no SMD terms for digital audio files
2. There are certainly no terms for dealing with still images (35mm slides, photographs, etc.)

In regard to issue #1--what terms are people using for audio files? Although the rules might technically say otherwise, I'm inclined to treat "born digital" audio files and preservation files as "sound recordings" on the GMD level (as opposed to treating them as "electronic resource" which--from the AACR2 perspective might be the proper place). This said, is there an accepted term for digital audio files under IASA guidelines--or any guidelines for that matter?

Since #2 is largely off topic I'll direct my questions about that elsewhere--however, if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

andy