[ARSCLIST] Cataloging question--IASA in particular

Folks,

I'm struggling with some cataloging issues, right now in particular I'm dealing with terms for the General Material Designation (GMD) and Specific Material Designation (SMD) in relation to our collection. I've been coming to terms with the IASA rules and have discovered two things:

1. There seem to be no SMD terms for digital audio files
2. There are certainly no terms for dealing with still images (35mm slides, photographs, etc.)

In regard to issue #1--what terms are people using for audio files? Although the rules might technically say otherwise, I'm inclined to treat "born digital" audio files and preservation files as "sound recordings" on the GMD level (as opposed to treating them as "electronic resource" which--from the AACR2 perspective might be the proper place). This said, is there an accepted term for digital audio files under IASA guidelines--or any guidelines for that matter?

Since #2 is largely off topic I'll direct my questions about that elsewhere--however, if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

andy

--

Andy Kolovos