To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] current role of soundcards

On Tom Fine's recommendation, I recently purchased and installed CardDeluxe in my ancient computer. The sound quality increased wonderfully, although the A/D .wav files that I had done with the earlier card still sounded fine and did not need retransfer. The main advantage in my mind is the more enjoyable playback of everything sonic, and when I'm doing "cleanup" on audio files, the new sound makes it easier to hear and locate clicks and pops.

Rod Stephens

Mike Richter wrote:

Prentice, Will wrote:

A passing thought, with a dash of devil's advocacy:

You're buying a new PC setup for the transfer of analogue material to a
high standard. Assuming you can obtain a high quality ADC with firewire
or USB interface and the PC has sufficient processing power, why would
you need a soundcard at all?
Will

Playback.

Mike