Re: [ARSCLIST] Access to unique materials (was: The Incompetence at ENHS)

You are absolutely correct that "access for the public is a goal to be pursued by the institution" and it is pursued avidly. Please see my previous post as to why the LOC is limited by law in how it can make some things available, at least over the internet.

Also, I want to note that nearly everything in the collection can be viewed or listened to by qualified researchers at the institution itself. Copyright does not prevent the LOC from making items available per se, only from distributing them in a way that could infringe copyright.

James

All statements and opinions are personal and are not statements of Library of Congress policy or position.

>>> mahatma57@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/01/06 5:02 PM >>>
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, James L Wolf wrote:
>
>> As the "house of copyright" the LOC is, and must be, bound by the letter
>> of the
>> copyright law. So please do not blame the Library for its inability to
>> make
>> available most early recordings. Thanks.
>
> To what extent has the library pushed for changes in the copyright as it
> applies to access to unique materials? Or does the library see its posture
> as reactive versus being proactive.

Excerpted from the American Folklife Center website:

"It is central to the mission of the Library of Congress "to preserve,
secure, and sustain for the present and future use of the Congress and the
nation a comprehensive record of American history and creativity." "

The phrase "for the present and future use of Congress and the nation.."
would seem to indicate that access for the public is a goal to be pursued by
the institution.

-Matt Sohn