[ARSCLIST] IASA 2007 Conference: Call for Papers

IASA-BAAC Conference, Riga, Latvia
15-20 September 2007

First Call for Papers

The theme of the IASA-BAAC 2007 conference is:

"Building an Archive for the Future"

The conference will address themes associated with the tasks audiovisual archives are facing in a world undergoing rapid changes. It is essential that archives develop new ways to meet future demands. Analogue and digital collections will coexist for a while yet, depending on the resources made available for the preservation of analogue material, the digitization process and the management of digital content. Digitization is now recognized as the way to go to save our audiovisual heritage, but the issues of future migration and the sustainability of digital archives still need to be addressed.

Digitization gives archives possibilities of delivering content via new digital platforms thus distributing the content not only to the traditional users, but to whole new groups of audiences. At the same time, ideal open access depends on the successful development of copyright legislation. Only then will large scale dissemination of content be possible. Gradually, archives will become an even more integrated part of society.

IASA and BAAC invite proposals for papers of not more than twenty minutes duration that address one or more of the following sub-themes:

*	Role of the archives in the future
*	Sustainability of archives
*	Is there a need for contextualisation of AV archives?
*	How to create better access to the archives
*	Are the archiving principles changing?
*	Legal issues (legal deposit, copyright, freedom of speech etc.)
*	How to train and educate the future archivists
*	How to build an archive: technical issues and options
*	Content migration
*	Preservation of metadataåØå
*	Small scale archives
*	Towards integrated archives
*	Selection policies - a necessity?
*	Archiving of webpages

Proposals must be accompanied by an abstract of not more than 150 words. The deadline for this first call for papers is 15 December 2006. Contributors will be notified during March 2006 of the Programme Committee's decision.

Please send your abstract together with your name, organisation, contact address, telephone and e-mail address to:

Per Holst
IASA Vice-President
Chair: Programme Committee
E-mail: per@xxxxx

c/o
DR (Danish Broadcasting Corp.)
Archive and Research Centre
Radio Archives
DR Byen
Emil Holms Kanal 20
DK-0999 Copenhagen C
Denmark
Phone: +45 3520 5554

ilse assmann
Editor: IASA
Manager: Media Libraries
Tel: +27 11 714 4041
Fax: +27 11 714 4419
Mobile: +27 83 647 7810
E-mail: assmanni@xxxxxxxxxx

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
Martin Luther (German priest and scholar whose questioning of certain church practices led to the Protestant Reformation. 1483-15)