Re: [ARSCLIST] Edisoniae--was: The Incompetence at ENHS

-- Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK,but why not let somebody else put out the material
> as commercial reissues? RCA Victor,and EMI had no
> reservations about reissuing acoustic material during
> the Lp era,so there was a market for it.There were all
> sorts of enterprising people who started up small
> independents in the 50s,are you telling me there would
> have been no takers for the Edison catalogue ? Or did
> they simply not try ?

I'm saying they simply didn't try.  McGraw-Edison,
after they sold off the Dictagraph (Ediphone)
operation, had no pretense of being a record company,
nor did they want to be one.  Remember, in the 1950s
this was looked upon as all just a lot of old junk.

"Ah, here's Grampa's old Edison Victrola in the attic!
Isn't it quaint?  Can you imagine people would
actually *listen* to that corny stuff?  Thank God
nowadays we have Les Baxter!  Well, out with the
trash!"

At least McGraw-Edison felt the civic obligation
to do *something* to preserve this collection.
That's the miracle.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx