Re: [ARSCLIST] Another chime in the deathknell for CD's?

On 27/10/06, Tom Fine wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/yf5ep4
>
> Keep in mind that this CEO has not always been credible on his
> predictions, but what he's saying makes some sense.

However, from this news item:

"CD sales accounted for more than 70% of total music sales
in the first half of 2006, while digital music sales were around 11% of the
total"

> Hey, they could use all those idle SACD manufacturing lines to make
> dual-layer discs that might actually sell -- DVD video on one layer
> and CD audio on the other. No one's going to pay $18+ for it, though,
> so lower prices back down to $10-12 might help.

I remember when the big multinational publishers thought books were
about to be replaced entirely by CD-ROMs.

Things don't always turn out as CEOs expect.

I'm not sure what he means by "additional material", but a CD that
arrived here by mail last week came with a free stick of candy (from the
shop, not the record company). When do we get streaming candy delivered
by mobile phone?

The additional material that most people would like is an informative
booklet.

Regards
--
Don Cox