Re: [ARSCLIST] Effect of vibrations on audio tape

Karl Miller wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, James Lindner wrote:

Several comments - firstly I would recommend that you get the collection out
of the basement no matter what. Basements are just terrible places for
archives in general and AV archives in particular. Most basements are below
grade - so that it there is any flooding in a building the water will seek
its lowest level and find the archive.

At our institution we kept (keep) the recordings on the bottom floor basement...the building is built on a natural spring and the floor has been subject to flooding 3 times in the last 20 or so years...I dried many a record. Their solution was to install a sump pump.

Karl

I am also in a basement (40 years +) and I don't see that changing any time soon. We have "flooded" (most recently twice in one summer: 4+ inches in one hour at rush hour and then when they left the sprinklers on and they filled the window wells). No damage to my recordings--it is a big basement and the water goes out rather than up. There are sumps (which don't always work), but the recordings are actually in a room that is least affected (phew!)

Barbra

Barbara Need
Manager & Archivist