Re: [ARSCLIST] Effect of vibrations on audio tape

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, James Lindner wrote:

> Several comments - firstly I would recommend that you get the collection out
> of the basement no matter what. Basements are just terrible places for
> archives in general and AV archives in particular. Most basements are below
> grade - so that it there is any flooding in a building the water will seek
> its lowest level and find the archive.

At our institution we kept (keep) the recordings on the bottom floor
basement...the building is built on a natural spring and the floor has
been subject to flooding 3 times in the last 20 or so years...I dried many
a record. Their solution was to install a sump pump.

Karl