Re: [ARSCLIST] MARC Records for Open Reel Tape

Christie,

The Norwegian Institute of Recorded Sound also has an option in its online
catalogue to look at the entry in a full MARC format.

Go to http://websok.uis.no/wsSearchAdv.Asp??t=1&language=Eng

Choose a search based on 'signatur' and 'RE' as the search word - this will
give you all of our big reel to reels, mostly off-air radio recordings of
classical music. Click on one of the items on the hitlist, then you'll see
an option at the bottom that says MARC.

There's not much difference between cataloguing a radio recording and a
private spoken recording. Sometimes we have both on one tape, and I've
chosen to catalogue them separately:

Try a search on 'signatur' and 'Y0018 (1)' : off-air recording of a BBC
radio programme about Flagstad

Try a search on 'signatur' and 'Y0018 (2)' : private recording of a friend
of Flagstad who comments on part of the recording above.

About redundancy and irrelevance. What's irrelevant to some may be very
relevant to others. Some info may be irrelevant today, but may be crucial
in a 100 years or so. It's really up to you and your institutional policy
to what depth you are going to describe the material in your catalogue,
i.e. how much information you put into a post.

Jacqueline

>I'm looking for examples of how institutions have done item-level
>MARC cataloging for open reel tape, especially spoken-word.  There
>are so many redundant, optional and seemingly irrelevant fields for
>audio recordings that I'm interested in comparing our choices to
>others'.  If you've got some publicly-available cataloging like this
>that you're particularly proud of, I'd really appreciate being
>pointed toward it.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Christie Peterson
>Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
>Bates College
>70 Campus Avenue
>Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
>(t) 207-753-6918
>(f) 207-755-5911

Alec McLane
Scores & Recordings/
 World Music Archives       Phone: (860) 685-3899
Olin Library                       Fax: (860) 685-2661
Wesleyan University          mailto:amclane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, CT
06459       http://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/srhome/srdir.htm