Re: [ARSCLIST] Mostly for laughs

I still don't know why the skating force makes the stylus pull IN. If it were some kind of centrifugal force, it'd be thrown outward (or at least my very limited brain tells me that). That's why I have four linear tracking arms--all various Rube Goldberg type contraptions.
Phillip

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
----- to a later contribution: a centrifugal force can only be generated
on a
body that rotates around an axis (apart from it being virtual). However,
when
a record is played, the stylus does not rotate, so it is not subject to
any
force like that

I suspect that this may not be entirely correct. The phenomenon we
refer to as "centrifugal force" is actually the straight-line inertia
of an object moving in a circular path (or a portion of one).

----- one question, one statement here:

1) which object of those we are considering is moving in that path?

2) the centrifugal force is actually just the inverse of the force required to maintain the object in its circular path

For
this reason, an object placed on the surface of a rotating phonorecord
will fly rapidly outward...

----- not until that object has been given the movement, which is tangential

and it would seem that the stylus would
similarly try to do so, but be prevented in doing so by the
outside wall of the groove. After all, if you were to place the
tonearm on an ungrooved disc, would it not fly outward

----- I think that it would depend very much on where the tonearm were pivoted, the static compliance of the cantilever, and whether it were an offset arm

But at least we may agree that at 78 rpm we have quite a lot of acceleration to do good experiments with - the effects will be much enhanced over 33 1/3.

Something for a Science Park perhaps.

Kind regards,

George