[ARSCLIST] Harmony acoustics, 1925

Harmony was launched in the summer of 1925 as a budget label.  It retailed
at $0.50 (I think) and slightly more west of the Rockies.   Columbia's
electrically-made products required royalty payments to Westen Electric.
Harmony (and spin-offs Velvet Tone and Diva)  didn't require royalties and
allowed acoustic recording equipment from becoming obsolete, at least for
a few years.  Vocalion also became a budget label for a few months in
1925, retailing acoustically made discs for fifty cents until 10/22/1925,
when the first electric masters for Vocalion were made. The price soon
went back to 0.75.

Dick

George Brock-Nannestad <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>
10/23/2006 02:23 PM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Polydor electrics, the depression, etc

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Steven Smolian wrote (snipped)

> I have no documentation to prove it but feel certain that the reason
> Columbia made paralell recordings acoustically to their electrics, the
> former issued on Harmony, was to cater to the old wind-up market.

----- I have always thought that when Frank Andrews in his discography of
10"
English Columbia records speaks about "electrical re-recording" in 1925 he

means taking the acoustic record, playing it and creating a new
electrically
recorded master, while retaining the old catalogue number.  So I never
thought that they were making parallel recordings

----- someone with a better collection than mine (or better finding aids)
may
be able to confirm this - there is a chance of a change in the background
noise at the beginning of the electrical one (if in pristine condition)

----- on the other hand, I would prefer positive proof that parallel
sessions
were used.

Kind regards,