Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Dynamic-frequency Range

More likely the equipment blew out the records. Remember the Mengelberg Tchaikovsky
Fifth I mentioned, unissued on Brunswick? Even re-dubbing it wouldn't provide discs
that would pass the 'wear test' which consisted of playing a test pressing 20 times
on a typical phonograph.

Levels and excessive bass had to be carefully controlled on early electricals (even
though they were often bass-heavy, as opposed to the brilliant high ends they'd been
striving for on acousticals, especially vocals). Listen to the Franck D Minor
Symphony by Stokowski, Victor M-22, especially if you can find a later z-shellac
pressing, and especially if you can find one where the tympani attack near the start
of side 4 isn't totally ripped.

dl