Re: [ARSCLIST] Dynamic-frequency Range

Echoing what Aaron has said, when we were doing initial testing before starting to digitize our cylinders we did a lot of listening tests with cylinders of 'cellos and such run through various high-pass filters. We found that there wasn't much of anything but rumble and noise below 200Hz. We ended up using a high-pass filter to get rid of a lot of the junk below about 170 Hz.

You've seen this image if you were at ARSC in Seattle, but this gives you a rough idea of the frequency response of an Edison Blue Amberol: http://nico.library.ucsb.edu/BA2203.gif. It doesn't really help with the high end, but gives you a pretty clear picture of what the lower end of the range was.

David Seubert
UCSB

Aaron Z Snyder wrote:

Edison Diamond Disc recordings in general had very little, if anything at all, below 200 Hz. The upper end in general petered out at about 4 kHz. However, I've seen one acoustical Diamond Disk made in 1927 (Edison held off until mid-to-late 1927 before going electrical) which has an upper end at an astonishing 6 kHz.