Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape Terminology

Thanks, Richard. Your response pretty much clears up the confusion I was having -- some people referred to tracks, the machine I was looking at referred to channels, but I couldn't seem to tell much of a difference in how they were used. I get it now.

Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
Bates College
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
(t) 207-753-6918
(f) 207-755-5911

Richard L. Hess wrote:
Hi, Christie,

While they are used interchangeably in many instances, the tracks are what are actually on the tape and the channel often refers to the electronics chain.

The area where this is most confusing is in consumer formats where the bulk of consumer tape machines were quarter track (or four-track) STEREO, meaning they only had two channels of electronics.

Another consumer area is the 8-track cartridge. While there were 8 tracks on the tapes, most players could only play two at a time, while some could play four at a time.

But other than this subtlety, I wouldn't worry about it. I think I generally use "tracks" more than channels when talking about tape, however, as the head lays down tracks on the actual tape.

I think I've referred you to the pictures at
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-reel-tape/

same graphic, but the other half of the info:
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-cartridges/

http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/015-cassettes/

Cheers,

Richard