Re: [ARSCLIST] Temperament--was: Are we at the end of the road musically??

On 09/10/06, Steven Barr wrote:
> [...]

A mode is a set of scales  which share the same pattern of
tone-and-semitone steps, while starting on different notes.

Major, minor, Lydian, etc.

So there should be 12 scales in each mode. Hence the sets of 24 Preludes
- 12 in a major scale and 12 in a minor. Major and minor being the only
modes now in common use.

The paperback "Introducing Music" by Otto Karolyi is good on this stuff.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx