Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital "catalogry"--was: Tape baking question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> REMINDER: As the map is not the territory, the audio file is not the
> sound object. Any confusion of the two is a potentially fatal trap.

With, however, one important exception!

If the original "sound object" is a digital recording (in its
original form), then a digital "audio file" would be an exact
duplicate of the original "sound object." So, it is only a
question of terminology as to whether or not the "sound object"
is (and, as in Bill Clinton's case, we need to know what the
meaning of "is" is...!) the "audio file!"

Note, however, that a "digitally altered" (compressed, re-
formatted or otherwise having different digital contents)
is NOT the same as the original "sound object!"

Steven C. Barr
(in fact, it could be suggested that the altered copy is an
"UNsound object"...)