Re: [ARSCLIST] Are we at the end of the road musically??

On 06/10/06, Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Whatever people call music, it is entirely a creation of the mind of
> the individual, molded (programmed) by that person's lifetime
> listening experience, which may, but nowadays likely will not, include
> historical musical forms.

I think it always will, but "history" for a person who is young now means
the 1970s and 80s. I think most will go back at least as far as Hendrix.

> This may be related to the time of early
> life when language can be easily learned.

I think the music you hear as a young child has a big influence. For
someone who is 20 this year, that would be what was on the radio in
1978-84.

> Certainly most of the
> current new music, popular and serious, is as unintelligible to me as
> a foreign language. But jazz and even the waltz were thought such by
> the older generations of their times.

I think it was Rimsky who said of Debussy's music "Better not to hear
it. You would only get used to it, and you could end up liking it."

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx