Re: [ARSCLIST] History of Audio Exhibit at SFO

Hello,

Is anyone from SFO listening ?

If so , how about some good pictures of the exhibit on the websight for those of us who won't get to see it ? Even if it's the same machines and artifacts I've seen before, I'd never tire of seeing it again !

Just a thought....

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/4/2006 7:26 PM >>>
There is an exhibit on the history of audio recording at San Francisco
International Airport in Terminal 3 (United Airlines) right now. It
coincides with the AES Convention this weekend and runs through May
2007: http://www.sfoarts.org/exhibits/f2/f2-current.html.

It's behind security, so you have to be flying to see it. But if you
happen to be flying through or to SFO, you should check it out. There
are lots of cool artifacts from cylinders and Berliner discs, to an
Ampex 2" videotape machine (which was actually drawing a crowd when I
was there) to videogame consoles and "early" iPods. It's a well done
exhibit with quite a bit of text on the various engineers and their
contributions to audio recording. I couldn't figure out exactly who
curated it, but it includes a lot of vintage equipment from the Ampex
collection at Stanford, gear from Dolby Labs and some from private
collectors like René Rondeau.

SFO has a great art exhibition program. It's too bad it's mostly behind
security now where nobody has time to pay attention to it.

David Seubert
UCSB