[ARSCLIST] Nikon sonic boom

I'm posting this on behalf of a colleague not on the list; please excuse cross-postings.

While it reads like a joke, and some people have suggested it as such, it isn't, and any insights on what happened and how to avoid it would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Marcia Segal
American Folklife Center
Library of Congress
Last Saturday eve., while presenting a Kevin Burke concert at a WA State Park, I was taking pictures with my Nikon D-70 digital SLR. Most of them I took with available light. At the end of the concert, I turned on the built-in flash. When I pushed the shutter button, the sound system, which was a professional sound system brought in by a professional sound person, made a loud noise like a sonic boom & dimmed the house lights momentarily, much to the distress of the audience. Because I could not believe that it was caused by me, I took another picture & it happened again, again to the audience's distress. After the concert I tried it again & sure enough, my flash was the cause of it. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience or does anyone know anything about this? I've never had it happen & I've taken hundreds of digital flash pictures at concerts. The sound person, who has almost 30 years in the biz, had never seen or heard anything like it. Anybody ever have a similar experience? If yes, any thoughts on it?