Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

I've heard negative opinions on paper leader. Personally, I like the stuff as
filler. Hey, folks, worrying about a hub slit..you ought to see some of the
reels we had in the early fifties! Seven inch reels initially had a very small
hub with three quarter-inch gaps for threading. For a few years, Scotch
provided tape on brown metal reels (which I liked, because they had available
recording time printed on the reels)..not only did these have the same wide
gaps, the hubs were split down the center because the reels were fastened
together at that point. Scotch and Audio Devices began tightening those gaps
around 1952, and then added a half-inch thick plastic ring inside the reel to
expand the hub and decrease the available room for tape. The compromise hub
size which became standard for the next 4 decades came along shortly after,
1952 or 1953. Soundcraft and Irish may have followed similar patterns in reel
changes.

dl