Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Don Cox wrote:
>... Naxos' 3000 is less, but they are still releasing 150 titles per
>year.

True however my understanding of how they are managing to accomplish this is somewhat akin to vanity publishing.

The orchestra has to finance the entire recording cost, Naxos receives all rights for any licensing purpose and nobody gets paid any royalties ever. I understand Naxos sometimes helps locate foundation support for a particular recording however that's hardly the level of investment typical of a traditional label. Last time I went in a Borders, the Naxos CDs were also selling for a dollar ABOVE list price.

A bit of publicity is the only compensation the orchestra and conductor receive and that only if the recording happens to get a good review. While publicity may appeal to amateur musicians, it's hardly a healthy stimulus to professional classical music.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com