To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Hello Tom

On 27/09/06, Tom Fine wrote:
Right, again, niche players. Limited marketing budget, etc. Most of
the world's back catalog of classical music is owned by Universal and
BMG/Sony and EMI. I think if you took a census, they would own about
85-90% of total back catalog of recordings. The reasons why so much of
it is out of print has been detailed ad nauseum by me and others.

I doubt if even that is true any more. They release so few new titles now that the more productive companies are catching up.

I could do some counts to be sure, but let's suppose that EMI released
a hundred new classical albums per year from 1955 to 1995. That is 4000
titles. Naxos' 3000 is less, but they are still releasing 150 titles per
year.

Admittedly the others are less productive. Hyperion, Chandos, BIS etc
etc probably release 50 or 60 titles per year each.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx