Re: [ARSCLIST] English copyright. Beware.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5378118.stm

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the forward. For me, the equally tragic notion is that even if
> we did not have to contend with copyrights, we still could not afford the
> equipment, trained staff (assuming they could be found), and financial
> support to preserve our heritage, assuming the "powers that be" considered
> it something worthwhile.
>
> I guess I am at the point of thinking that we don't stand a chance of
> winning.

Well, I assume that the majority of the list's "we" are located within
the US borders...which means that all sound recordings are under copyright,
and will be until (so far) 2067!

I'm up here in the frozen northland of "Soviet Canuckistan," and so far
we still have a 50-year copyright term (although I expect that to change
in the near future...?!)

It will be interesting to see if some brave and obscure country elects
to be the only land with a 50-year copytight...simply to be a home to
the "semi-illicit reissue" industry...?!

Steven C. Barr
(and whether Dubya takes military action in support of RRIA...)