Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

One thought: When you used the cassette adapter, did you check to see if the car radio's "Dolby NR" was on?

Mark Durenberger

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christie Peterson" <cpeterso@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:38 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

I have used both a cassette adapter and a radio broadcaster to listen to my iPod in the car. My experience was that the cassette adapter was awful, lost a lot of the high-end sound, and was so bad that no music was better. I later bought one of those little gadgets that broadcasts your iPod on a radio band, and have been much more satisfied with the sound quality. It isn't as good as the -- get this -- digital original, but sounds generally as good as stuff coming over the radio does.

Caveat/disclaimer: I listen to a lot of indie rock and electronica, so maybe the results would be different if my iPod were full of, say, classical music or early jazz.

P.S. All the cheap rental cars I've driven in the last 5 years or so have only had CD players/radios -- no cassette tape players, so don't be so sure your next car will have one!

Christie

Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
Bates College
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
(t) 207-753-6918