Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 25/09/06, steven c wrote:

> Well, it seems never to have occured to the makers of 78's (except
> Edison) that they could or should have put any sort of information
> about the artists and/or songs on their record sleeves! In fact,
> the idea of sleeves specifically intended for a given record
> only seems to have become a practice (and a far-from-standard
> one) around 1950, and then only for a handful of discs!

I think album sets of 78s of classical music generally came with notes.

Checking a couple, Koussevitsky "Pathetique" and Kreisler Beethoven
concerto, both have a sheet of analytical notes stuck to the inside
front cover.

The Schnabel Beethoven sonatas came with very full notes which were
reprinted for the first LP reissues.

OTOH "The Duke Ellington Album" (six ten inch 78s) shows no sign of ever
having had any notes.

> With LP's, I assume somebody figured out that since there was all
> that empty space (an LP had to have a protective jacket of some
> sort)...why not fill it! CD's, of course, come with "inserts"...
> but there is no guarantee those will remain with the disc over
> time (or keep on being produced as the rush to find cheaper
> methods of packaging CD's continues...)

Some companies do provide good, informative CD booklets. Naxos are an
example.

Regards
--
Don Cox