Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

steven c wrote:

> [...]

Not totally true. 78 album sets came with informative booklets beginning in the
mid 1920s (Musical Masterpiece Series and the Columbia and Brunswick
equivalents)..probably similar at the Gramophone and Columbia companies.
Popular albums didn't even exist until the late 1930s and one of the earliest
of them, the Bix tribute, came with an extensive set of notes. Printing them on
the inside of the ALBUM didn't seem to occur to anyone until the early 1940s
(some exceptions, naturally) and even then, Decca used the space to provide
photographs of the performers, in the case of songs from movies or Broadway
shows.

On the other hand, many an early LP had NOTHING in the way of liner notes or
even information about the songs or performers. Mercury was particularly sloppy
in this area, putting some LPs into thick jackets with a centre hole, the cover
printed on the front and a list of available LPs on the back. Sometimes they'd
put the LP into a sleeve (full color) with the title printed on the front, a
catalog on the back, and no information about the songs or artists on the cover
OR the label (Songs of Israel, formerly Songs of Palestine if you owned the
original Keynote 78 set). Sometimes they'd reissue two Keynote sets and if they
remembered, they'd reprint the original covers on the front and back..I have an
issue of the Tony Kraber/Earl Robinson pairing where you get only one of the
two covers.

Then there was the era of the gatefold cover, where the second printing cut
back to a single cover and omitted all the notes..happened all through the 50s
and 60s.

I agree, it would be wonderful to have "cover art" and readable liner notes
once again. The CD could easily have been sold in full-size albums, using a
corner of the package the way Music Appreciation did for the insert of the
"analysis" disc, and stores wouldn't have had to toss all their old broswer
bins (which they then had to re-purchase when the laserdisc came along).

dl